Skip to content

My Firsthand Lesson on the Importance of Appropriately-Regulated Electricity

January 27, 2019

This has been quite the twenty-four hours.

On the evening of January 26, 2019, I was sitting in my recliner, watching, TV, polishing my nails, enjoying a movie, and considering some topics about which I might blog, when I heard this incredible *POP* behind me, and immediately, most of my electricity went off. Now, the weird part was that the night lights worked, and my microwave indicated needing the clock to be set even as the stove beneath it was dead.

I went outside to try to trip the breakers, and when I came in, same strangeness of only minor lights on. I walked down the hall and flipped the light switch, and the light came on after wavering a moment.

I tried the master bedroom light; it came on then *POP*, so I cut it off.

By this time, I could see a sort of smoky vapor in the hallway, so I cut that light off and placed an emergency call to the electric company.

Before the electrician arrived, electricity came on full force in my house, and with it, *POP* *POP* *POP*….

I rushed outside in short order to kill the main breaker. And I thought that I might have just lost my TV to an electrical overload.

When the electrician arrived, he put a spotlight on the transformer to my house.

A wire had come loose.

There is was, in the moonlight, dangling.

Apparently that was causing power surges throughout my home.

The pole and transformer had just been replaced the previous week. At that time, the workers cut my land line, so I had no internet. I do have a temporary phone cable running across my yard. I looks like I am pilfering phone service from an unsuspecting neighbor.

Thirty minutes later, the repair was complete, and electricity flowed at the stable and appropriate wattage.

But I had lost a few conveniences: My landline phone, answering machine, modem, alarm clock, over-the-range microwave, and home theater system all bit the power-surge dust.

Neither my cell nor either of my computers was plugged in, I am happy to say.

And my house did not catch fire, and I did not get electrocuted, which has me particularly grateful and incredibly relieved.

However, for this week, it seems, I will be unable to blog in the comfort of my own home, and I will be working to put my home back in order. (I will file a claim with the electric company for reimbursement.)

I could not help thinking about a learning curve for the electrician who wired my transformer and those who let that person do so:

“Well, Bob, you’ve got to learn sometime. This one’s on you. Give it a go.”

As I inventoried the working order of all things electrical in my home, I also learned that rats had made a nest in my water softener system in my shed and had eaten through the wiring, destroying it and creating another issue requiring my attention, including dealing with a rat’s nest. But that is another story.

There is something else about this electrical situation’s occurring on January 26, 2019:

Three years ago to the day, on January 26, 2016, I learned from the elderly tenants in my house in Indiana that it burned down whan a space heater fell on the bedroom carpet when no one was in the room. (I thank God that no one was hurt, and my tenants and I worked together with the insurance company to both pay off my two mortgages and provide my now-former tenants with a newly renovated house of their own in their twilight years.)

So, if it seems that I am less active online for a bit, know that I am not able to blog from home right now and that I am just doing a little cleanup on Aisle Schneider.

img_1418

__________________________________________________________________________

Interested in scheduling Mercedes Schneider for a speaking engagement? Click here.

.

Want to read about the history of charter schools and vouchers?

School Choice: The End of Public Education? 

school choice cover  (Click image to enlarge)

Schneider is a southern Louisiana native, career teacher, trained researcher, and author of two other books: A Chronicle of Echoes: Who’s Who In the Implosion of American Public Education and Common Core Dilemma: Who Owns Our Schools?. You should buy these books. They’re great. No, really.

both books

Don’t care to buy from Amazon? Purchase my books from Powell’s City of Books instead.

 

2 Comments
  1. IRA SHOR permalink

    Wow, what a story! You were definitely in danger, not only your household items. At my house, plumber came to fix water heater last week, forgot to turn the main switch back on, lost my internet, cable tv, and telephone.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

  1. The Sneakiness of HomeAdvisor | deutsch29

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s